something to write home about

letters home from the internet

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Vatican II: Electric Boogaloo

I think we need more positive creative forms of worship within the Church. For those of you outside the Church - meaning not Christian or non-religious - who think this doesn't really concern you, I challenge you to revisit chlidhood and think back to all those times you visited youth group with your religious friends and had to sit through another sign language presentation set to a Steven Curtis Chapman song. I'm not saying we need fire breathing pastors (literally, not figuratively - we've accomplished that for better and for worse), but I welcome some genuine, authentic creativity in the way people relate to God. That being said, humans are subjective and I'm going to love this example more than I'll love someone speaking-in-tongues-juggle-painting. Plus, I love breakdancing.

Watch how the Pope blesses these guys with the wave of his hand, as if to say, "Bounce with me, bouce with me....I'ma da Popa....Big Popa...".


View this clip on Vimeo

6 Comments:

  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger Burly said…

    What do you think of break dance fighting worship? With or without candles.

     
  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger cory cavin said…

    With. Unless it begins to distract worshippers/b-boyers. The focus, i.e. windmills, must always point to Christ and if arguments about candles or no candles draw people away, I say abstain for your brother, brother.

     
  • At 10:50 PM, Blogger Burly said…

    If I blow out my candle, do I also have to quit wearing black and shave off my soul patch (if I had either a soul patch or black clothing)?

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger cory cavin said…

    Your true candle is within. And your soul patch is just a representation of your real soul. Don't let the symbolism cloud the truth.

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger geoff hmarks said…

    "Cause a friends a friend forever. If the Lords the Lord of them. And a friend will not say never 'cause the welcome will not end. Though its hard to let you go, in the Fathers hands we know That a lifetimes not too long to live as friends"

    I hope some one can remix that with a funky house beat one day.

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger cory cavin said…

    Oh Jeffrey....we share the same hope.....

    And these guys can make it happen:

    joy electric

    There's also a Keith Green cover on that CD...wait, how do I know that, it's not like i had the CD, i mean, wait....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home