something to write home about

letters home from the internet

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Go Get Filthy Dirty With Funny
















This week is the 6th Annual Dirty South Improv Festival in Chapel Thrill, NC. Unfortunately, I won't make it to the fest this year, but it holds a special place in my juiced up improv heart. DSI was started by some old Comedy Sportz Chapel Hill friends and has been going strong, gaining steam over the past couple years, much like the popularity of Milli Vanilli in a hypercolor shirt in 1992. DSIF is also the first place I really started pursuing long form improv, when I attended last year's festival, which led me to eventually move to the NYC and study at the UCBT.

If you're in the Chapel Hill area this weekend, do yourself a favor and go see some shows (and go take a shower too, you bum. We don't pay you to come in looking like that.). Check the DSIF website for schedules and show locations. The freestyle rap battle (for which I hold last year's second place title, sucka) is tomorrow night and anyone can sign up for it via
email (festival@dirtysouthimprov.com), so go flex your skillz homeboy. It's a great festival that hosts over 400 improvisers from all over the US and you can see some darn good improv. Some recommendations are the UCB Theatre team, The Beatbox, The Reckoning (oh good goodness go see The Reckoning - AMAZING), Show Pony, and The Bat (improv with the lights out...spooooooky). Here's a write up in the Herald Sun about the festival and it has a full schedule at the bottom.

And if you do make it to Chapel Hill, do a few things for me: go to Pepper's, get a black olive and feta slice with a salad, go to the Cat's Cradle and see a punk show and climb on stage and sing the lyrics without getting your nose broken afterwards, run through a sorority house screaming "Panty Raid" and when you're detained by campus police claim you were shouting "Fannie Mae" hailing your newfound stock success, drive over to Duke and slap Wojo and look at Reddick and say, "This is you in eight years", drive back, sprint through the quad and high five Roy Williams, and then wrap your arms around Davie Poplar tree and say, "Hey there big fella. I've missed you. And my arms have grown since I left since I'm wrapping them around you now."

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aw, now I'm all homesick! When are you gonna be in SoCal again??

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Burly said…

    Are the stories better than the reality? Cause the stories are real good, yo.

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger cory cavin said…

    Alana! I am homesick as well. how is living in the O.C.? I would love to make it out, but it's not looking anytime soon. Boo.

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger cory cavin said…

    The dreams are better than both. Whatever that means.

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Life in the OC is great! It's gonna to be 72 degrees and sunny this weekend. Can't complain about that!

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger cory cavin said…

    It was windy and 27 this morning. Not as cool. but i still love it.

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger Brad said…

    Fannie Mae? CC, what are you thinking? Comedy has seared your mind! Good CH memories though. FYI in Barbados we had our lowest temperature yet (since August) last week: 71. Presently it's 82 and sunny with a fresh breeze. I'm headed to the lounge chair in the backyard to do some thinking with my eyelids shut tight. And I just might take off my shirt, but wouldnt want to excite the wild monkeys.

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger cory cavin said…

    Brad,
    Whattup! Climb a tree and score some coconuts for me! I'll send you a subway rat in return.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home