something to write home about

letters home from the internet

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Goin' Ape

One of my current projects at work right now is updating the Human Resources Happenings bulletin board so people in the office will know we're doing lots of things. I'm sure my additions will not turn many heads for two reasons: #1.) No one sees the board. Due to its horribly inconspicuous location, the first time I'd seen the HR Happenings board in the four months I've worked at the office was the other day when someone walked me over to it and showed me - in an area I pass through everyday and have remained blind to said board up until now. Reason #2.) I work for a corporate construction company - most people here care only about building skyscrapers, chewing nails, and arm wrestling.

Still, designing the new "happenin's" for the board has been the most fun and fulfilling task I've
worked on in my entire career with this job. It's a little easier to infuse some creativity into work while using a design powerhouse like Microsoft Word (Yay! Autoshapes!) than into a task like filing or data entry (I have tried to creatively do those while dancing Bollywood style, but have been shut down each time by co-workers -- racists). One of my creative challenges to myself for designing the board was to put a picture of a monkey on something because monkeys are, well, hilarious. I accomplished my goal in the first piece I finished, about an upcoming financial seminar we'll be hosting. Here's the basic gist:


Proud of my first efforts, I was inspired to find more pictures of monkeys on the internet (thought I was gonna say "inspired to design another flyer and do more work didn't ya? - wellllll, not yet.). Here's a sampling of what I found:














This monkey is smoking. The James Dean of monkeys. The coolest at the zoo.















A monkey pleased with a job well done. Probably taken years ago when monkeys only used typewriters.






















Oh man. Stage monkey. Rock monkey. And in all truth, whatever this monkey is playing, it's probably better than any Puddle of Mudd song.

















This monkey is afraid of the Euro and the ever growing formation of the EU. Or he may be shocked and embarassed about his bad sweater.














Monkey mistaking a wooden railing for a piano.





















The monkey you picked on in high school. Well, that monkey invented Linux and is now married to a supermodel. Way to go dude. By the way, this monkey is also wearing a hoodie and a chain with his glasses. Just wanted to point that out.





















Shhhh. It's ok. Be strong, Beagle. Be strong. Hey, I bet that guy behind us wishes he could be held by a monkey friend too. But you know what? I'm here for you. For you, Beagle. C'mon - let's go play outside. You can run and bark, and I'll screech and throw my own poop. You'll feel better.


















LET GO OF MY DOG!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
















Score! They've got Dunston Checks In at Netflix! Okay, Monday night, don't make any plans....no, I don't care if Space Odyssey is more "dignified", Dunston is funny.



Oh man, monkeys are FUNNY. Seriously though, this picture is possibly the cutest picture I have ever seen. Stare at it for 10 seconds - it is impossible not to smile, tear up, and gorge yourself with a pint of Ben & Jerry's to drive away the adorableness of it.




















C'MON. 10 SECONDS. JUST STARE. SOOOO CUTE.


For more monkey fun, check out Super Bowl ad makers, CareerBuilder.com's website. Rob Douglas showed me this and it is genius. They have a monk-e-mail program where you can send talking monkey emails to your friends - or enemies. What better way to confuse an enemy than to send them a message from a mo
nkey. And what better way to tell the love of your life you're completely devoted than to do it through a monkey. Pretty much, I think several world problems would go away if we used more monkey tactics. You can't take things so seriously that way. It's impossible. Really, think if every member of Congress was assigned a personal monkey to sit beside him or her in all meetings, just staring at the other deleagates (and monkey delegates). After a while, posturing, arguing, and fighting would be useless. Monkeys would be drinking water out of pitchers, scribbling on things, doing backflips, and doing that thing where they laugh and roll their lips back to show their teeth. Monkeys would make a stronger America. That's it, I'm starting my campaign. In 2008...



ROCK THE VOTE!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger Marshall said…

    Dude, I am CRYING (with laughter). Have you considered some sort of high-tec standup act where you have like powerpoints and just talk about these things?

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Joshua Dudley said…

    well no one can accuse you of monkeying around.

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger Burly said…

    The picture of the monkey holding the puppy reminds me of the scene in Clear & Present danger where the Columbian dude goes to have a "rendezvous" with Moira and is holding her and kissing here and then snaps her neck. I know it's morbid to think about, but do you think that's what the monkey had in mind?

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger cory cavin said…

    That is all i can think of now when i see that once-so-cute picture. terrible.

    it also reminds me of the scene in Cliffhanger when John Lithgow is holding Janine Turner the same way and looking at Stallone and asks Sly, "Do you know what true love is? Sacrifice....". Then he kisses Turner and shoots her in the back. If that monkey did this I would go ballistic.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home