something to write home about

letters home from the internet

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Quotable Ocean

This morning on the way to work I heard a man discussing the bus route with his wife. When she complained that they'd have to walk further to their destination when they got off the bus, he responded, "Well sweetheart...When the going gets tough...the tough get going."

How can a man respond this way to his wife? No - I'm not referring to bland clichés. Our society is full of these and they aren't good - they destroy our originality every second (but what are you gonna do? Gotta keep on truckin'.). I'm more concerned that this man is using a different faulty vehicle for conversation...Billy Ocean lyrics.

Other poor examples of this interpersonal communication failure include:

(When solidifying a relationship that was once a tryst)
Hey girl..."No
more love on the run." (This works best if the woman is of royalty and of the US Island region, thus, a Carribean Queen.)

(While encouraging an emotionally stilted man)
Don't worry George there's
always hope..."There'll be sad songs to make you cry - love songs often do."

(Emphatically declaring your intentions of relationship to a lady)
Grace, I
"Wanna be your lover lover uhmm, Wanna be your lover lover lover boy, Lover lover yeah, Wanna be your lover lover lover boy." Do you understand me?

(Confronting a witch that haunts you subconsciously in your sleep and and asking them to accompany you on a drive to straighten things out)
Esmerelda
- I'm giving you an ultimatum - "Get out of my dreams and into my car."

PLEASE stop Billy Ocean Lyricism Conversations. Before someone pulls out a line from the 1989 #32 Billboard hit "License To Chill". ("Look I know I'm 15 miles over officer, but I've got a "license to chill" if you know what I mean...yeah, that's Billy Ocean. Oh, out of your dreams and into your car? No? Just into your car. Yes officer.)

1 Comments:

  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger Megan said…

    I just came across your blog! love it.
    very funny my man.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home