something to write home about

letters home from the internet

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Tis' The Season: Day 20 Redux

Today's Topic: Christmas Carols
In an effort to give the people what they want, here's another post for
Day 20.


For Halloween, I found a site to tell me what costume to wear. The results weren't satisfying. Now I've found a site that tells you what your Christmas song is after gathering a little (very little) info about you. After admitting that I was "Nice" (instead of "Naughty" - hey it was a good year) this year and that I used Blogger, I was prescribed my Christmas song.

One problem: My "Christmas" song isn't even a Christmas song. It's not even just a Winter song associated with Christmas, or an unrelated hymn sometimes sung at Christmas. It's "The Chanukah Song". I don't want to get into a huge fight over Christmas semantics, and don't want to bash Chanukah either. I even like "The Chanukah Song", originally performed by Adam Sandler on SNL. I just think there's a little contradiction when the Christmas Carol Generator 3000 reads back to you, "Your Christmas Song Is: The Chanukah Song!" I can't wait to check up on this website in a couple months to read, "Your Summer Anthem is: Winter Wonderland!"

Also take note of the message after the lyrics: "You're wacky, offbeat, and irreverent. And you may not celebrate Christmas at all." How about, "You're JEWISH"?! That's why most people celebrate Chanukah! I'm sure there are some wacky and offbeat Chanukah celebrators, but they probably don't celebrate just because they're "wacky". If that was the case, Hollywood would hold an annual Chanukah party hosted by Bobcat Goldwaith and Carrot Top. Maybe it's just deductive reasoning. "Hmmm, wacky, offbeat, and may not celebrate Christmas at all? Who does that sound like....Jerry Stiller, John Stewart? Seinfeld! Chanukah!!"

Not that Christmas and Chanukah are complete opposites, they're just sort of apples and oranges. I do have a friend who celebrates both Christmas and Chanukah. He's a Christian Jew, and I'm sure he could find some great interwoven ties in Christmas and Chanukah. (They both start with a "C", there's one.) Although, he is a bit wacky and offbeat, so that explains it....

Your Christmas Song Is

The Chanukah Song

O.J. Simpson
Still not a jew
But guess who is,
The guy who does the voice for Scooby Doo

You're wacky, offbeat, and irreverent
And you may not celebrate Christmas at all

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home