something to write home about

letters home from the internet

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

City Linguistics

Two new words created on the way home last night with two friends:

trainge (trayn-j) v.
1. To transfer or switch trains. I thought my friend said, "trainge" when she really just said "change" (referring to subway trains), but I thought "trainge" sounded cooler and decided to adopt it.

Urban Ringworm (er-bun reeng-wurm) n.
1. A fungal disease caught from the floor of Times Square subway station. Probably worse than regular ringworm.
We walked through the open lobby of Times Square station last night and no one was performing, but there was a man cleaning the floors.

"That's nice to know someone cleans these floors sometimes. I bet all the breakdancers here appreciate it, since they're spinning around on their bellies," Susan said. "It's so dirty."
"I bet those guys get ringworm," I said.
10 second pause.
"Urban ringworm," said Susan.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cory!
    A BLAST from the PAST just wanted to say hello!
    Hey there! This is Andie..Brooklynne's old roommate? It's so funny, I found your blog by accident...but thought I'd say hello anyway! How the heck are you these days?
    Sounds like NYC is treating you well, and that's great to hear!
    AS

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger cory cavin said…

    Andie,
    Hey what's up? how are you, where are you? things here are good, new york is strangely warm all the way into late November, which is nice. good to hear from you!

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Cory!
    I'm doing great! I'm living right across the street from you...Portland, OR! Haha.
    I'm loving it here. I'm just getting my first taste of OR winter, but it hasn't been bad at all..
    You should go check out my blog...www.myspace.com/madisonbluemusic
    That's pretty much what I've been up to these days! ;)
    Good to hear from ya...keep in touch, now ya hear?

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    cory, I need your email address. Thanks

     

Post a Comment

<< Home